Pages

.

Butterscotch Banana Bread














I love a good banana bread. Usually, in the past, I have eaten others' banana breads. I decided it was time to make my own! There are tons of banana bread recipes that I want to make and have bookmarked from other blogs. But I decided to start with this one because I love butterscotch!

Sugar Plum has some amazing photos of her bread! Next time I would definitely take a picture of the banana bread sliced. I don't know why I didn't do that this time! Silly me. I'm slowly learning to take pictures of everything. A million pictures. From a million different views. And that way there has to be at least a couple of good shots right?

Go ahead and preheat that oven before you forget! Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray. In a small pot, melt the butter over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes. Keep whisking often and cook until the butter foams and turns golden. The point is to get a nice browned (not burnt!) butter. Then add in the banana and cook for 2 minutes, whisking until smooth. Already sounding delicious!














In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder & soda, salt, and cinnamon. We will call this the flour mixture.
















Now, in a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter-banana mixture and brown sugar until well combined. Then whisk in the eggs and vanilla until combined.


























Then sift the dry flour mixture into the wet banana mixture and fold in, mixing well into a batter.
 










Then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. I know you love these step-by-steps  :)
 












This is the part I kinda sucked at. I wanted it to turn out oh-so-pretty and swirly. I wanted you to be able to see the swirl once baked. I guess I need to master this skill a bit better next time. Anyways, swirl the melted butterscotch into the batter using a knife (or whatever handy tool you have. If you have better suggestions than a knife, let me know!).
 










Then bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Cool before slicing.

Oh this was so yummy! I wanted a little bit more of a butterscotch flavor though. That's just me, the recipe is great as is. I love butterscotch, so I just wanted more, and so if you are like me then do the same. If not then stick to the recipe, because it's damn good! I think next time I would try it with 1/2 cup butterscotch chips instead of 1/3 cup. I'm not even sure if that would make a difference at all. But next time I think I will try that. I have modified the recipe below to include that minor change.

 












Butterscotch Banana Bread
slightly adapted from Sugar Plum

*Makes 1 loaf
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup mashed ripe banana
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips, melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook 3 minutes, whisking frequently until butter foams and turns golden brown. Whisk in mashed banana and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until creamy.

In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter-banana mixture and brown sugar until combined. Then whisk in the eggs and vanilla until combined.

Sift the dry flour mixture into the wet banana mixture, folding in and combining until well mixed, like a batter.
Pour batter into greased pan. Swirl the melted butterscotch into the batter using a knife or any other appropriate utensil. Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the loaf. Cool completely before slicing.

Can't wait to make this again! And many more banana bread recipes, for that matter. Do you guys like banana bread as much as I do?

Peace, and bacon grease  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment