Pages

.

August's Secret Recipe Club Reveal - Chocolate Chip Pecan Blondies

















I'm back for a second time with the Secret Recipe Club, and I'm so happy to be. It is such a fun group of food bloggers who are assigned a secret blog from which to make a recipe, and then blog about it! It really has become such an exciting part of my blogging experience... following a new blog and drooling over all of their recipes and deciphering which one to make. All while keeping it a secret. 

For the month of August, I was assigned the blog Barefeet in the Kitchen, which was great because I was new to the blog. It has been a pleasure getting to know Mary through her blog and recipes. I love the name of her blog, and the idea that her boys are in the kitchen [barefeet] with her, spending quality time together. I hope to have that with my children one day (when I have some!), to be able to share my love of cooking with them, and to use it as a way to bond and spend time together, as well as teach them lessons. I was also very intrigued by her "dehydration" section on her blog; she has dehydrated many fruits and veggies, some successes and others failures, and she is one creative woman! While I was tempted to try my own hand at dehydrating, that is not what I chose to make from her blog. She only started her blog in May, but she already has a vast array of recipes for me to choose from! After longing over many savory recipes like her adorable Caprese Skewers, fancy Mushroom Risotto, and Grilled Chicken and Bacon Sandwich, I finally decided to target dessert recipes, since I need more desserts on my blog and more practice with baking in general. But oh what to make?! I was longing to make those Almond Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies, or some Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars, and I will one day! But since I had all of the ingredients already in my pantry, her Chocolate Chip Blondies won out.

























I decided to make a few changes to make the recipe more suitable for us. We had pecans on hand already, so we used those instead of walnuts. Also, since PJ doesn't like nuts as much as I do, I halved the amount of pecans to make them more to his liking. We also cut down on the vanilla, but I'm sure if you used the whole amount that they would be just as good.


























These blondies were tasty, and even better for me the next day. I would definitely do the entire amount of nuts next time. I loved the addition, and the extra crunchiness it gave the sweet blondies. PJ also acknowledged that he liked the nuts and would have liked more. I was shocked! So definitely keep the original amount of nuts called for in Mary's original recipe. The recipe below uses the whole amount of nuts, since that's the way I think it should be made.

























MMM I'm thinking about these bars right now, drooling at my computer screen as I'm writing this, thinking how I can't wait to make these again.


These blondies have me thinking that the old saying that "blonds have more fun" could really be true. {Cheesy, I know, but I had to}

















Chocolate Chip Pecan Blondies
adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen

      dry ingredients:
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
      wet ingredients:
  • 10 tbsp butter, melted
  • 2 cups light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  • 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup of chopped pecans 

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and light brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter and brown sugar mixture. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Next add in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans and fold everything together until mixed well. 


    Pour batter into the well-greased dish and bake for 25-27 minutes, until slightly browned along the edges and a brownie consistency in the center. Cool them in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling before storing them in an airtight container.


    Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve with whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.


    Printable Recipe


























    I preferred them the next day, at room temperature and allowed time to harden a bit and set. PJ, on the other hand, said he would really like them heated up in the microwave. I'd say that could be a good idea too, if you prefer. Top it with a dollop or two of whipped cream, or a nice big scoop of vanilla ice cream, and you've got a perfect summer treat.

























    This would also be a perfect dessert to take to a party or company potluck, as you can cut them into squares and serve individually, and they store easily. So if you want to be good and have some will power not to eat them all, then pack some up and take some in to your coworkers or spouse's coworkers. They'll certainly thank you and think you are all sorts of amazing.

    Thanks for such a great recipe, Mary! It's been fun getting to know you secretly :)


    Peace, and bacon grease!





    No comments:

    Post a Comment