Pages

.

Chocolate Carrot Cake {Crazy Cooking Challenge}

Hey yall! 

Photobucket

I didn't participate in January's Crazy Cooking Challenge... chicken noodle soup just isn't my thing. And you know what? This month's pick - chocolate cake - isn't really my thing either. Never been much for chocolate cake. 

Or so I thought.

At first, I wasn't too excited about picking a chocolate cake recipe. Then I came across some with Bailey's and Kahlua and white chocolate and strawberries and butterfingers and all kinds of goodness. And I started to get more excited about this challenge. Then I saw it. Chocolate Carrot Cake. I absolutely love carrot cake, and so does PJ, so it was a no-brainer. Chocolate Carrot Cake was the golden one.






















Oh, and this is my first homemade cake! Woot woot, go me. Not difficult at all when you've got a recipe to follow. Except when you don't follow it correctly. Leave it to me to read a recipe wrong. We only added 2 cups of carrots instead of 3 cups which the recipe called for. While the cake was delicious, it definitely needed the full 3 cups of carrots. It didn't taste carrot-y enough. (Um, what crazy person says that they want more carrots? Me, Me!). This only applies to carrot cake. This is not the norm for me to want more carrots. But for this carrot cake, it is a must.... use the 3 cups! 


And it was still so good. Though it lacked the full on carrot cake flavor, it was a delicious chocolate cake. Especially with the chocolate buttercream frosting filling and topping. I also liked the crunchy walnuts on top; they added a nice texture. Next time I may try toasting them a bit first, or experiment with other crunchy toppings.

Chocolate Carrot Cake
ever-so-slightly adapted from Burn Me Not

Cake:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 and 1/4 cups canola oil
  • 3 cups finely shredded carrots
Frosting:
  • 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 and 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8-inch round baking pans with baking spray. 

In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs and oil and beat until combined. Mix in carrots. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. 

For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners sugar, cocoa, and vanilla until smooth.

Level cake layers with a serrated knife. Place one layer on a serving plate; top with half of the frosting. Place remaining cake layer on top of the other frosted layer, and then top with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with nuts.

*Note: I didn't line the baking pans with parchment paper. It just wasn't working right so I just baked the cakes directly in the greased pans. I carefully used a spatula to release the sides and bottom from the pan once cooled and removed to a cooling rack. I'm not sure if baking it in the parchment paper would make a difference, or how to even do it properly. I couldn't figure it out, that's why I baked it directly in the pan. You can line pans in parchment paper like the original recipe says, or bake directly in the pans like I did. Whatevs.

Printable Recipe

























It's after midnight and I'm about to go have a slice, or two. Please tell me this is normal.


Check out the other chocolate cakes in the blog hop below... and maybe click on mine - the one with the most clicks wins the ultimate chocolate cake title.








Linking up here.


Peace, and bacon grease!



No comments:

Post a Comment