Pages

.

Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli

Peej and I weren't blown away by this recipe, so I'll keep it short. The idea of it intrigues me... ground chicken patties with a spicy cajun seasoning, served with a horseradish dipping sauce?! To me, it sounds like nothing could go wrong. But it just wasn't.... grand. The meat reminded me of that ground turkey burger I had made before and didn't like too much. I seem to be making some amazing self discoveries lately, and this one being that I must not like ground turkey or ground chicken. How can this be? I like turkey. I like chicken. Why would it being grounded make it taste less appetizing to me? I have no idea! I'm sure there have got to be some ground turkey or ground chicken recipes out there that we like! But what? I mean, a turkey burger with buffalo sauce.... sounds amazing right?! To me, too! But it just wasn't tasty. And ground chicken with horseradish sauce sounds equally as tasty. But it wasn't. What is wrong with us?!


 Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli
adapted from myrecipes

*serving size = 2 chicken cakes
*Yields 4 servings 

Cakes:
  • 2 slices white bread
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (or ground chicken)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 3 tablespoons mayo
  • 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
Aioli :
  • 2 tablespoons mayo
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
To prepare cakes, place bread in a food processor and pulse 10 times or so until crumbs measure 1 cup (discard remaining breadcrumbs). Set breadcrumbs aside. 
Place chicken in the food processor and pulse until ground. Or you can use already-ground chicken. Combine chicken, chives, 3 tablespoons mayo, cajun, 1/4 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Mix well. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2 inch thick patty.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook 7 minutes 
on each side or until done. 

To prepare aioli, combine all of the aioli ingredients in a small bowl and serve with cakes.














Anyone have some tasty ground chicken or ground turkey recipes that you enjoy? I need to try my hand at a few successful ones so that I am not forever traumatized by ground chicken and turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment