Pages

.

Apple, Bacon, and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Croissant {Crazy Cooking Challenge}

It's time for this month's Crazy Cooking Challenge!! And this month it's all about the grilled cheese. Who doesn't like a grilled cheese?

Photobucket
Takes me back to my childhood days when my mama used to slather the bread slices with butter and when I bit into my grilled cheese, butter used to literally ooze from it. Oh, the things my mama fed me  :)

I made my usual list of possibilities, and finally settled on this recipe from Creative Culinary, but wanted to change it up a tad. I used bacon instead of pancetta, and dijon mustard rather than whole grain mustard. And I didn't use that exact kind of sharp cheddar - I used Cabot extra sharp. No major changes.


Apple, Bacon, and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Croissant
slightly adapted from Creative Culinary
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon dried cranberries, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons butter, divided
  • 1 large croissant, sliced in half lengthwise
  • 2 slices of sharp cheddar
  • 2 slices bacon, cooked
  • One half apple, cored and sliced
For the cranberry spread, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, honey and dried cranberries in a small bowl and set aside.
Cook bacon in a skillet on medium-low until brown and starting to crisp. Drain.
In a separate large skillet on medium-low, melt 1 teaspoon of butter. Place cut edges of sliced croissant face down on butter until slightly toasted; approximately 1 minute. Remove from pan.

Melt another teaspoon of butter in skillet and place bottom of croissant in pan, toasted side facing up. Layer 1 slice of cheese, apple slices, bacon and a 2nd slice of cheese on top of croissant. Spread the inside of the top piece of croissant with the cranberry spread and place it spread side down on layered ingredients. Lower heat and cover the sandwich with a lid until the cheese starts to melt, carefully watching the underside so as not to burn. Carefully flip the sandwich over and repeat. Remove from heat, cut in half and enjoy. Makes one sandwich.

Printable Recipe


 























When I told PJ that I was making this for myself while he was at work, he said it didn't sound good. Honestly, his judgment had me a bit worried. How would I like this on a croissant grilled instead of bread? I've tried bagels before and wasn't too impressed. How would this mustard and cranberry mixture taste on a grilled cheese? Does the grilled cheese even need that? Apples and cranberries? Is this a bit much?

Um, no Desi... are you crazy?!?! It wasn't too much at all. In fact, it was amazing. It was delicious. It was one of the best grilled cheeses I've ever had. 

That croissant. Oh, I just may use you every time for grilled cheese from now on. The buttery, flakyness definitely outdid any plain old white bread for sure. Usually I can't really tell a difference in different kinds of cheddar, but the sharpness really really stood out. It was a perfect cheese for this sandwich. 

I did have problems photographing these, so I do apologize that the pictures aren't all pretty to show you just how delicious this really was. I'm really sorry for that. But I'm not sorry that I made this and am now sharing it with you all. 

You're welcome for that. 

And the little tang from the mustard and cranberry mixture added that extra somethin too. I even liked the apple slices on it! What the? If you are if-y about the apple slices, I'd say try it with them and you just may surprise yourself on how much you like it. But if you don't wanna get all bold and risky, then this grilled cheese croissant is just as amazing without the apples. 

Now I've got to make these for PJ one day when he's home! I love when he thinks he doesn't like something and therefore I get to prove him wrong. That's always fun :)

Oh, and maybe... just maybe, you can scroll down to the blog hop below and click on my recipe - it's #17 - we've got a contest going on and the grilled cheese that gets the most clicks is crowned the Ultimate Grilled Cheese! Please? I'll love you for life.

Peace, and bacon grease!





Linking up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment