Pages

.

May's Secret Recipe Club - Bechamel Sauce

Yo.

I'm suffering, people. I can't eat anything! Well, I can eat some things, but nothing that is satisfying me! I got my wisdom teeth removed the other day and have been eating soup, ice cream, and yogurt for the past 2 days. I'm over it.

So when the time came to select a Secret Recipe Club recipe, I knew my options were limited. Tandy has some great recipes on her site... if only I could eat them! Maybe I should have made something earlier so I'd have more options and would be able to eat some of her yummy recipes, especially ones that are on my (not-yet-finished) 30 by 30 recipe list. I wanted to make her savory souffle, eclairs, and creme brulee. But I ended up picking her bechamel sauce. I was intrigued because I've heard of this sauce before, and she recommended it with scallops and I figured I could eat scallops since they are soft.

Bechamel is a basic white sauce. You guys know I'm all about the sauces. So I couldn't pass up an opportunity to try a new sauce, plus eat some beloved scallops which sounded so much better than yogurt or soup. 



















Not gonna lie, I tasted the sauce by itself and I wasn't a fan. It didn't really have much taste or flavor. But with the scallops it was better, but still not very much flavor. I learned that it is really more of a base for other sauces, like mornay, or as a base in lasagnas, mac and cheese, or gratins. 


Bechamel Sauce
from Lavender and Lime
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 thick slice of white onion
  • a dash or two of nutmeg + more for seasoning, if desired
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
  • salt, for seasoning
In a pot, gently heat milk, bay leaf, onion, and dash or two of nutmeg. Remove from heat just before it comes to boil. Cover and set aside to infuse for 30 minutes. Strain the milk into a bowl or container and discard the bay leaf and onions. In the same pot, add butter and melt over low heat. Add the flour and stir briskly until smooth to form a roux. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil and whisk to prevent lumps. Season with pepper, salt, and more nutmeg if desired. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Printable Recipe


I did have to convert measurements, so hopefully my google searching was accurate.

I will definitely be trying this bechamel sauce base in some lasagnas and macaroni and cheese recipes soon! 


Annnnnnnd now I think I have pieces of scallop in my teeth  :(


Peace, and bacon grease!



No comments:

Post a Comment