Pages

.

Chipotle Shrimp with Grilled Pepper Guacamole

I like spice with my spice.

Take these spicy chipotle shrimp. You could have them as is, maybe scoop them up with some crusty bread. That would be awesome. Actually, pretty much anything is great when scooped up with crusty bread. Except possibly cereal. I love carbs, but that would be serious overload.

Now, where was I?

Ah yes, spice.

It might be enough for you to have spice in your shrimp and have mild guacamole with it, or even some sour cream or yogurt. I went with grilled peppers in my guacamole and just a tad of yogurty goodness. Adapt to your own tastes, but I think they complemented each other beautifully.

And pile them both on a crispy tostada - you have yourself a delicious and seriously messy lunch. Not for first dates, I suppose. But I'm married so I can eat as messy as I like. Just ask my dry cleaner. Just kidding. I don't dry clean. All my shirts just remain spotty. But I digress....

Chipotle Shrimp
(Camarones Enchipotlados)
Adapted From Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless
Serves 4

One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire-roasted)
2-3 canned chipotle chiles en adobo
1 tablespoon chipotle canning sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
About 1/2 cup fish or chicken broth or water
salt
1 to 1-1/4 pounds medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail left on if you wish
About 1/4 cup (loosely packed) roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)

Pour the drained tomatoes into a blender or food processor.  Add the chipotle chiles and chipotle canning sauce.  Process until smooth.

In a very large (12-inch skillet), heat the oil over medium.  Add the garlic and stir until fragrant and golden, about 1 minute.  Pour in the tomato mixture.  Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.  Add enough broth or water to achieve a light tomato sauce consistency.  Taste and season highly with salt, usually about 1 teaspoon.

Add the shrimp to the pan.  Cook, stirring nearly constantly, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 4 minutes.  Stir in a little more broth or water if the sauce has thickened too much.

Scoop onto dinner plates and sprinkle with cilantro.

Grilled Pepper Guacamole
adapted from Rick Bayless

2 poblano peppers
1 sweet red pepper
2 jalapeno peppers
olive oil
salt and pepper

2 cloves garlic, minced
3 avocados, diced
juice of 2 limes
3 Tbsp plain yogurt

Cut all peppers in half, seed and stem, oil and salt and pepper liberally.
Grill til blackened in spots and tender.
Peel if desired.
Let cool to room temperature and dice small.
Toss with rest of guacamole ingredients and season to taste.


Rick Bayless @IHCC button roundedIHCC

No comments:

Post a Comment