Pages

.

Sauteed Corn, Bacon, and Green Onions



















Hey friends! I'm up for another round of Martha Mondays, and it was my turn to pick the Martha Stewart dish we would all be making. I had already made out a menu plan when I realized it was my turn, so I chose a simple side dish to go with one of our dinners for the week. We did enjoy it, though it is very basic. It was better than my fiancee expected, he said. 















Martha's original recipe calls for scallions, but our local grocery store didn't have any scallions (I'm not sure how they have some of the most exotic things but not scallions, but whatevs). So I subbed in green onions because they are pretty much the same thing. I sliced them diagonally with scissors... love that easy method! I used frozen corn this time, next time I would try fresh corn and it would definitely be even better! The crushed red pepper flakes added a nice touch of heat. I think I added more than a pinch, but it definitely amped up the flavor.

This is a nice simple side to accompany any main course. Or it can be used in any recipe that calls for corn. We used ours in a taco salad that we made last night. It called for corn, so I used this corn, bacon, and green onions mixture instead of just plain corn.

AND it doesn't take very long at all, you just have to cook your bacon, and then mix everything in a skillet. How hard can that be?

































Sauteed Corn, Bacon, and Green Onions
adapted from Martha Stewart
  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 4 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • Pinch or two or crushed red pepper flakes
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for taste
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through. Drain some of the grease, leaving about a tablespoon.

Add corn kernels. Season with crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook until corn is tender for about 8 minutes, stirring often. Stir in green onions. Serve immediately.


Printable Recipe



















I am also linking up to:

Isn't that a purty dish? Love the colors! I'm a sucker for a colorful bowl or plate of food! Next time I bet I could add in some red onions, maybe even a little tomato, and up the green onion amount, and make that an even more colorful dish!




Peace, and bacon grease!

No comments:

Post a Comment