Pages

.

August's Secret Recipe Club - Deep Fried Twinkies with Strawberry Topping

I sure have missed this blog and you guys. I've been slackin this month on posting unfortunately. PJ and I just got back from our vacation in Destin, FL! Let's just say I don't wanna be back in Cincinnati. But more about that vacation later...

Now it's time for this month's Secret Recipe Club. I was assigned to Joanna's (aka Jo) blog, which I was excited about because it was a new-to-me blog. It's always exciting to stalk a new blog. And this one was no exception. I was intrigued by Jo's recipes, like her Brown Butter and Rum Glazed Pineapple, her Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, and of course her Crispy S'mores. But when I came across her post about some deep fried goodness, nothing else mattered.

























You see, last year PJ and I went on a double date with our friends to the Clermont County fair. It was a revolutionary occasion, as it was the first time we ever tried the oh-so-amazing deep fried oreo, and its delicious friend, the deep fried twinkie. I couldn't tell you anything else about that fair except for the joy I found when I discovered those deep fried treats. We were supposed to go again this year, and I was anticipating the day. Waiting for the chance to get my hands and mouth on those deep fried miracles again. But we didn't end up going! I seriously was so distraught. What? You mean I have to wait another year?!


















So you can imagine my insanity when I saw Jo's recipe for Deep Fried Twinkies. No, you probably can't even imagine my insanity when I saw that recipe. Pure and utter insanity bliss.



















Turns out I don't need the Clermont County Fair after all. I'm bringing the county fair to my own kitchen.


Deep Fried Twinkies with Strawberry Topping
Deep Fried Twinkies from Cairns Manor
  • 6 Twinkies, frozen overnight
  • 4 cups vegetable oil*
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Powdered sugar, for topping
  • Strawberry Topping - recipe follows
Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: milk, vinegar, and olive oil. In a separate large bowl, blend together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until smooth.

Dip Twinkie into the batter, rotating until batter covers the entire Twinkie. Place carefully into the hot oil. The Twinkie may float, so you may want to hold it under with a utensil or continuously flip to ensure even browning. Cook until golden brown for 3-4 minutes, turning as needed. Cook 1 or 2 at a time to prevent them from sticking together.

Remove Twinkie(s) to paper towel and drain. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Top with Strawberry Sauce and powdered sugar, and whipped cream if desired.

Strawberry Topping 
ever-so-slightly adapted from Our Best Bites
  • 1 pint strawberries
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Wash strawberries and remove leaves. I cut off the ends where the leaves were too and then cut them in half lengthwise. 

Combine strawberries, sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium saucepan, bringing to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly. Serve over Deep Fried Twinkies.

*I just filled my deep fryer almost to the max line with vegetable oil.

Printable Recipe


 
















Thank you, Jo, for letting us re-experience the memories of the summer county fair and its deep fried goodness. In the comforts of our own home. Anytime we want.

 

Check out my other Secret Recipe Club posts too! 

And I also got to cross another item off of my Blog Bucket List... I used that deep fryer I've been meaning to for years :)  Take that, bucket list!

Linking up here.
 
Peace, and bacon grease!


No comments:

Post a Comment