Pages

.

Pane Siciliano

Where would you like to go?
I'd like to go to Italy. Sure, I might get dumped in the ocean, but I am willing to take that chance.
I like the thought of a floating hotel room, satisfies the hermit in me as well as the wanderlust.
A little place to scurry back to when it all gets to be too much.
Plus -water. I like water. This surprises my family as I am afraid of most things. Heights, depths, crowds, reality television...
But I find the water soothing, and I like being on a boat.
It's been awhile though, and it is likely to continue being awhile.
So for now I will continue to travel in my kitchen. With the pups.
To Sicily! For bread. What else?

Pane Siciliano
adapted from The Italian Baker, Carol Field

Ingredients
2¼ tsp dry instant yeast
1¼ cups lukewarm water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp barley malt syrup
2½ cups fine semolina or durum flour
1 cup AP flour
1 Tbsp fine sea salt

1 egg, beaten
Handful of sesame seeds

This shaping is called Occhi di Santa Lucia - Santa Lucia was the patron saint of vision.
Everyone into the pool!
Combine all the ingredients in your stand mixer, with the dough hook, and mix for 5 minutes on low.
Empty the bowl out onto a board and knead until you have a smooth ball.
Place the dough into a clean bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled - about 1½ hours.

A fine, dense bread - great for canapés and snacking
Divide dough into two equal pieces.
One piece at a time - roll out into a snake, just like kindergarten, about 20-22 inches long and 1½ inches thick.
Roll up into a tight S on one side and turn around and repeat with the other.
Let rise on a silpat or lined baking sheet that has been sprinkled with a little cornmeal.
Cover and let rise until doubled in size - 1-1½ hours.
Preheat oven with baking stone in it to 400°F
Brush loaves with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
When ready to bake - gently transfer loaves to baking stone and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and baked through. Internal temperature should be over 200°F.
Let cool on racks.

This bread has been YeastSpotted!

Bread Baking Day #46 (last day of submission February 1st)BYOB Badge

No comments:

Post a Comment